Tuesday, March 17, 2009

AIG execs win "Robber Baron of the Year" award

I'm going to go off-topic today because I read something in the Washington Post that just infuriated me. The article is entitled Rage at AIG Swells As Bonuses Go Out, and you can access it at the Post's website (Registration required).

In a nutshell, AIG is using taxpayer bailout money to pay $165 million in bonuses to executives of the AIG Financial Products Division, the same division that came up with the "credit default swaps" racket that basically wrecked our economy. How's that for irony? Apparently, we, the taxpayers, are now in the business of incenting Wall Street executives to lose money, not make money.

Since this is, after all, a music site, I'm going to close with a song called Robber Barons. I wrote this song a few weeks ago after getting my 401k statement in the mail and seeing how much of my hard-earned savings have evaporated. It's tongue-in-cheek, but rings true especially on days like today. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment